Frequently Asked Questions:

Who are KSN Energy?

KSN Energy are currently the contracted Surveying and Inspecting party on the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme. We are based in Clonskeagh, Dublin (just next to UCD) and have been providing this service to the SEAI since the start of 2012.


What is “Fuel Allowance”?

A Fuel Allowance is a payment under the National Fuel Scheme to help with the cost of heating your home during the winter months. It is paid to people who are dependent on long-term social welfare payments and who are unable to provide for their own heating needs. Only one Fuel Allowance is paid to a household.


What is “Job Seekers Allowance”?

You may get Jobseeker’s Allowance if you don’t qualify for Jobseeker’s Benefit or if you have used up your entitlement to Jobseeker’s Benefit. In some cases, if you are only entitled to a reduced rate of Jobseeker’s Benefit you may be better off on Jobseeker’s Allowance. However, Jobseeker’s Allowance is means-tested and your means must be below a certain level to qualify.


What is “Family Income Supplement”?

Family Income Supplement (FIS) is a weekly tax-free payment available to employees with children. It gives extra financial support to people on low pay. You cannot qualify for FIS if you are only self-employed – you must be an employee to qualify.


What is the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme?

The Better Energy Warmer Homes scheme (BEWH), administered by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI), funds energy efficiency improvements in the homes of the elderly and vulnerable, making the homes more comfortable, healthier and more cost effective to run.


Who is eligible?

This scheme is available to homes which meet the following criteria:


  • Owner occupied non-Local Authority homes
  • Constructed before 2006
  • The owner is in receipt of one of the following:
  • Fuel Allowance as part of the National Fuel Scheme
  • Job Seekers Allowance for over six months and with children under 7 years of age
  • Family Income Supplement
  • In receipt of the “One Parent Family Payment”


Landlords can avail of grants from the Better Energy Homes scheme if they have tenants in, or at risk of, energy poverty. See for more information.


What services are available?

The service will be provided by way of installing standard energy efficiency measures appropriate to the eligible household subject to SEAI survey, budget allocation and available capacity. The service is provided at no cost to the household and the measures currently available under this scheme are:


  • Attic insulation
  • Draught proofing
  • Lagging jackets
  • Low energy light bulbs
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Energy advice


Are Internal Drylining, External Wall Insulation, Central Heating, Windows, Doors and Renewable Technologies Available?

No. On the basis of current budget allocation and unprecedented demand for the scheme SEAI are not in a position to fund extended measures. SEAI’s objective must be to assist the maximum number of vulnerable homes possible, within the scope of the financial allocations made in the budget in December 2015.


What areas of Ireland are covered?

The Better Energy Warmer Homes scheme is now available nationwide.


Do I have to pay to get the work done under this scheme?

No, Better Energy Warmer Homes measures are installed at no cost to the recipient household.


What are the next steps after I apply?

Following your completion of the form on the website you will be issued an application pack, complete this in full and return to the address noted on the form.


Is there a waiting time?

Waiting times vary due to significant seasonal demand and in certain areas.


How long will it take for the work to be completed?

Once your home has been surveyed, the appropriate works identified and the installation of measures scheduled, the installation of individual measures typically takes one day. Thereafter the duration of works is a matter of scheduling. It should be noted that there may be delays due to demand and budget availability for the scheme.


 I am a landlord, can I apply for BEWH for one or more of my tenants?

No. Better Energy Warmer Homes is for private owner occupiers that meet the eligibility criteria for the scheme. Please see for details of the Better Energy Homes scheme for which you may be eligible.


I had work done to my home under BEWH, can I now apply for a Better Energy Homes scheme grant or vice versa?

To qualify for either scheme you must meet the qualifying criteria and satisfy all terms and conditions.


I received a grant under Better Energy Homes but now realise I could have had the work completed on BEWH at no cost. Can I get a refund?

Unfortunately no.